Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Recent Road Trip...
So, in preparing to write about the research process, I went off on a road trip to Middleborough and Sharon Massachusetts, where Deborah lived before and after the term she served in the army.  (I'd been there prior to writing the novel, but hadn't taken pictures.)  Though I won't be writing this "blog entry" in the research section for another couple weeks (I have a schedule!  And an outline!), I couldn't resist sharing these pictures.  Consider them a teaser...
 This building is an outhouse dating from the 1700s... it was on the site of Sproat's Tavern, where Deborah worked before entering the service.  Kudos to the Middleborough Historical Society for preserving it.  I had to resist the temptation to put a sign in front:  Deborah Samson sat here!
 Here I am at my ancestor's street in Sharon Massachusetts. There are actually several Deborah Sampson streets around.
And this is Deborah's statue outside the Sharon Public Library.  She's wearing a dress, but has her regimental uniform jacket over her shoulder, a powder horn in one hand and her tricorn and musket in the other.  Can you see the family resemblance?

1 comment: